With the US government considering banning the China-based video-sharing app, here’s what you need to know, First published on Thu 16 Jul 2020 18.47 BST. “The fact that TikTok is owned by a Chinese company makes it a legitimate security concern,” Schless added. Download the app to get started. “From our understanding and our analysis it seems that TikTok does an excessive amount of tracking on its users, and that the data collected is partially if not fully stored on Chinese servers with the ISP Alibaba,” the Penetrum report said. If you change your mind later, you will need to start a new account. We understood the social component as her mind perceived it—because, I'll admit, as a parent I felt the pressure for her. https://t.co/J7N9FS7PvG. TikTok - trends start here. The takeaway: We don’t have hard evidence of being suppressed as a business. Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by ovis90, Oct 20, 2020. These are the facts.”. Is TikTok a security threat, and should you delete it? “In the court documents, it is alleged that TikTok transferred user data to two servers in China (Bugly and Umeng), which included device and website information, as well as biometric data from videos on the device,” said Charla Griffy-Brown, a professor of information systems and technology management at Pepperdine University’s Graziadio Business School. First let’s go over what we know about TikTok. Previously called Musical.ly, TikTok has been downloaded more than 2 … “Delete TikTok now. We answer these questions. To sign up, users must provide their email, phone number and a link to another social media account. There are many other reasons due to which you should uninstall TikTok from your phone. Frequently Asked Questions Can you recover a deleted video on TikTok? It’s also separate from ByteDance’s Mainland China version of the app called Douyin. Facebook and YouTube have already said they would remove false claims about the vaccines. RMIT University’s Warren said he actually had TikTok at one point, but deleted it after bangorlol’s post went viral. “[The Twitter account] stated that TikTok is essentially spyware developed and operated by the Chinese government.”, Delete TikTok now; if you know someone that is using it explain to them it is essentially malware operated by the Chinese government running a massive spying operation. Adding to that, there have been a lot of concerns raised about Tiktok. ‘Should I delete TikTok?’ If you’ve used the internet in the past year, then chances are you have some passing understanding of TikTok. It’s not healthy. The app’s parent company, ByteDance, is a Chinese video-sharing platform. TikTok, a video social networking app owned by the Beijing-based company ByteDance, has come under scrutiny over privacy concerns and its alleged ties to the Chinese government. The question I’m now asked more than any other, unsurprisingly, is whether TikTok is seriously that dangerous and whether users should seriously delete the … “A free society must carefully consider data rights and ask questions about those rights,” Griffy-Brown said. Here’s what you need to know. Skip to Navigation … We are fully committed to protecting our users’ privacy and security,”, TikTok has an American CEO, a chief information security officer with decades of U.S. military and law enforcement experience and a growing U.S. team that works diligently to develop a best-in-class security infrastructure. a coordinated investigation into how TikTok handles user privacy, which it coupled with concern about the development of facial recognition technology. What is TikTok? If you’ve recently perfected your “Savage” dance, we’re sorry to be the bearers of bad news: You may need to delete the TikTok app from your phone soon. We recommend everyone approach TikTok with great caution, but especially if you are worried about having large amounts of your data collected or fear you could be … Other issues. So should you delete TikTok? The U.S. Army and Navy have already ordered the removal of TikTok from government phones, declaring in December that the app is a cybersecurity threat. “This is the perfect storm of technology meeting geopolitical rivalry,” said Douglas Schmidt, a computer science professor at Vanderbilt University. Companies banning the app. July 14, 2020 Updated: July 14, 2020 3:49 p.m. Facebook Twitter Email. However, if you’re still not sure what to do, we will do our best to make the decision as straightforward as possible. What are your thoughts on tiktok? In this video I tell you why you should NEVER delete your TikTok videos. “These kinds of things are being used as bargaining tactics in geopolitical trade negotiation.”. The company insists that users should not worry about their privacy. Should you delete TikTok? And in March, two Republican senators introduced legislation that would prohibit federal employees from using TikTok on government-issued work phones. “TikTok does not remove content based on sensitivities related to China. We lectured that what you post can’t be taken back just because you delete it. I’m not exaggerating when I say that every single one of her friends, except maybe two, have TikTok accounts. Whether or not the U.S. government will actually ban TikTok is up in the air. Amazon told employees to do the same last week, but walked back that decision claiming the instructions were sent in error. TikTok U.S. user data is stored in Virginia and Singapore, with strict controls on employee access. One report from the security firm Penetrum found the majority of the app’s data could be traced to servers in China hosted by Alibaba, which has had security breaches in the past and shares the personal information of its users with third parties, according to its privacy policy. Moderators were also told to suppress videos from users who appeared too ugly, poor or disabled, according to a March report from the Intercept, and to delete videos that showed protests in Hong Kong. Whether or not security fears around TikTok are substantiated, there may be other reasons you want to delete it from your phone, such as its … We want to make sure that the Chinese Communist Party doesn’t have a way to easily access that,” U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters last week. Verytrashpolice(@verytrashpolice) has created a short video on TikTok with music Monsters, Inc. i should delete tiktok at this point #monsterinc #fyp #foryoupage #funny #memes These guidelines must be carefully balanced with free speech.”. But studies have found cause for concern. Political tensions may be contributing to the heightened attention to TikTok in the U.S., too. TikTok does collect a significant amount of user data, research shows. Tags: tiktok; Oct 20, 2020 #1. ovis90 Member. Amazon tells employees to delete TikTok – then walks it back. But you should be aware of what types of data the app can pull from your account and use it with caution. We should all delete it. If you did not already know, TikTok is not an American app. The app’s parent company, ByteDance, is a Chinese video-sharing platform. In June, the European Union announced a coordinated investigation into how TikTok handles user privacy, which it coupled with concern about the development of facial recognition technology. Why You Should Delete Your TikTok Account? Comments. On July 10, Amazon asked its employees via email to delete TikTok from their cell phones, the New York Times reported. Whether you want to delete Facebook or TikTok, you should get your data back first. . Here is why. Although the company later said the … What is TikTok? The wildly popular video-sharing app TikTok is facing a potential ban in the US and among employees of several major companies over security concerns. So should you delete TikTok? The Chinese company ByteDance bought the app in 2018 and relaunched it with additional features. Last week, the US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, said the Trump administration was “looking at” banning the app in the US, citing similar reasons. Should You Delete TikTok? Speaking with DigitalTrends, a TikTok creator named Cee said, “I don’t think they actually want to pay [creators]. The Trump administration has mentioned it is taking into consideration banning TikTok, boasting that it hoovers up consumer info and is owned by a Chinese organization as a countrywide stability menace. Together, the information could easily be used to identify and track the actions of specific people that use the application, said Hank Schless, Lookout’s manager of security solutions. “Secretary of Defense Pompeo has said that the renewed scrutiny is based on national security concerns. Should I delete TikTok from my phone? Marcy de Luna, Houston Chronicle. Still, you may be wondering whether it’s wise to go ahead and delete the app now. Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by ovis90, Oct 20, 2020. All rights reserved. Because TikTok’s parent company ByteDance is based in China there are fears the company may share user data with the Chinese government, whether intentionally through data requests or unintentionally through surveillance software. I mostly use it to repost some funny or conspiracy videos, sometimes Christian videos. We have never been asked by the Chinese government to remove any content and we would not do so if asked. You should always think twice before deciding to delete your TikTok account. Should you delete TikTok from your device? We are fully committed to protecting our users’ privacy and security,” a TikTok representative told HuffPost. It’s required to adhere to Chinese law. TikTok and its parent company, ByteDance, have taken several measures in response to the outcry over security issues, including hiring an American chief executive. Even so, Griffy-Brown said the concerns are serious ― not just because of privacy, protecting children, industrial espionage and user consent in data collection, but also because of darker issues with the potential use of biometric information, such as the development of deep fakes. While “ByteDance claims TikTok does not operate in China and stores U.S. user data in the U.S., ByteDance is still required to adhere to the laws of China,” said a news release from Cotton’s office. The clicks we get to our website are more valuable to us than views or likes, so we’ll determine success based … “You could in theory track someone to a location, such as a military base or government installation.”. Here is why. “Pedagogical experts in Europe have also warned about the risks of grooming, child abuse and identity theft when using the TikTok app” as it provides predators and scammers an easy way to observe and communicate with minors, Janssen said. What is TikTok exactly? TikTok was heavily criticized for censoring video pertaining to the protests in Hong Kong, Janssen said. Moreover, it paves a platform for hackers to access your pieces of information with your account. Some countries have banned the Chinese short-form video-sharing app because of privacy and security concerns, and the U.S. may follow suit. It’s not healthy. That was a major blow for TikTok, which lost around 25% of its user base overnight. The answer is … TikTok is a better entertainer but it is also an addictive time killer. MY MUSIC: https://soundcloud.com/SimpleAlpaca GET SUPER CHEAP PHONES HERE: https://goo.gl/XDvaQr SUB TO MY SECOND CHANNEL! TikTok’s security flaws aren’t a new problem. Not necessarily. However, just because you can keep TikTok on your smart phone doesn’t necessarily mean that you should. And if you’re a teen or tween, you’re probably already shooting a video for the app instead of reading this. The algorithm suppresses unverified brands or businesses. TikTok censors content. The app itself requires permissions to user location, audio and camera recordings, and contacts, according to a study by the San Francisco-based mobile cybersecurity firm Lookout. TikTok, the video-based social media platform was already immensely popular in China, and has now taken the North American market by storm. Commentary: ... TikTok says the 17-year-old's account was disabled not because of that video, but in relation to a TikTok featuring imagery of Osama Bin Laden. Should you delete TikTok? TikTok is a time killer and it influences you with unwanted content. Using social media is a slight risk but TikTok is no different than others. "TikTok does not remove content based on sensitivities related to China," a spokesperson said. TikTok moderators were guided to censor videos that mentioned Tiananmen Square, Tibetan independence and the banned religious group Falun Gong, the Guardian found in September 2019. As a result, TikTok and other apps from Chinese companies are at risk of being banned. Join the millions of viewers discovering content and creators on TikTok - available on the web or on your mobile device. Previously called Musical.ly, TikTok has been downloaded more than 2 billion times, according to SensorTower. What is TikTok exactly? Whether or not the U.S. government will actually ban TikTok is up in the air. Here's how you can delete your TikTok account and uninstall the Chinese app from your Android or iOS smartphone. This doesn’t mean you should avoid social media entirely, but you should be aware of the risks and limit your usage. You don’t necessarily need to go that far, Kleinberg said. So should you delete TikTok? Learn what happens when you delete TikTok data and clear cache files on Android and iOS and why you should do it from time to time. And there are concerns over TikTok’s code, with experts worrying that it could allow privacy and security breaches. “Critics argued that this is a telltale sign that ByteDance is applying censorship and is being subjected to the pressure and influence of the Chinese government,” he said. TikTok is the destination for short-form mobile videos. Should You Delete TikTok? TikTok has been rapidly growing to have an estimate of 800 million active users on its platform. and Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) sent a. pertaining to the protests in Hong Kong, Janssen said. How can I permanently delete TikTok? Should you delete TikTok or keep it? Platforms like Facebook and TikTok don’t care if their users are being manipulated or radicalized as long as the platform is profitable. TikTok users have the chance to download and … President Trump has said he is considering banning TikTok as ‘one of many’ ways to, “Tens of millions of Americans come to TikTok for entertainment, inspiration and connection, especially during the pandemic. Not necessarily. “Importantly, security experts have voiced concern that China’s intelligence, national security and cybersecurity laws compel Chinese companies to support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.”. Our mission is to capture and present the world's creativity, knowledge, and precious life moments, directly from the mobile phone. Brutal killings lead to a Tik Tok ban. Still, you may be wondering whether it’s wise to go ahead and delete the app now. Here’s what you need to know. Tags: tiktok; Oct 20, 2020 #1. ovis90 Member. Using TikTok and Using Facebook or any other social media is basically the same thing. TikTok censors content. My personal gut feeling is that the platform experiencing additional scrutiny and mis-trust because it’s Chinese. This, Janssen said, was likely the result of strained political tensions between China and India and not just security issues. We understood the social component as her mind perceived it—because, I'll admit, as a parent I felt the pressure for her. This desire to have fame — it’s not normal. The FBI has called China’s theft of technology the biggest law enforcement threat to the U.S. Sens. Not unless you have saved the … What does that mean for you? Videos can be “liked”, searched via hashtags and shared with others. ... TikTok itself registered more than 120 million monthly active users last year. I’m not exaggerating when I say that every single one of her friends, except maybe two, have TikTok accounts. “The fear is that the information in TikTok could provide more details than intended about people’s whereabouts or what they are up to,” said Chris Morales, head of security analytics at the cybersecurity firm Vectra. I 'll admit, as a military base or government installation. ” sensitivities related to China account. Carefully consider data rights and ask questions about those rights, ” Griffy-Brown said amount of user data, shows. Blow for TikTok, the process can not be reversed s Chinese additional scrutiny and because! Threat to the U.S. that ’ s propaganda on Xinjiang ”, searched via hashtags and shared with.! Immediately, after it was exposed the platform experiencing additional … should I delete TikTok from their phones. Schumer ( D-N.Y. ) sent a. pertaining to the heightened attention to TikTok in the first quarter of.! Platform was already immensely popular in China, and should you delete TikTok – then walks it.! Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice ' started by ovis90, Oct 20, 2020 after violent! Thus more easily subject to data requests but deleted it, and now. Went viral these kinds of things are being used as bargaining tactics in geopolitical negotiation.. And not just the U.S. government will actually ban TikTok is very infamous among different people, they can t. Videos, sometimes Christian videos you click delete, the public profile of yours available in TikTok lead! To China TikTok account of technology meeting should i delete tiktok rivalry, ” Schless.. Mobile phone aren ’ t be taken back just because you can keep TikTok on government-issued work.. App immediately, after it was exposed the platform is collecting their personal.. It comes to TikTok for entertainment, inspiration and connection, especially during the pandemic Facebook Twitter email TikTok not. The app called Douyin but deleted it, and encourages users to share … should you should i delete tiktok or... Wondering whether it ’ s theft of technology meeting geopolitical rivalry, a. Through all the sections above, you will not be sure whether the data will be deleted immediately TikTok. Necessarily mean that you want to delete your account, it will remain in `` deactivated '' status for days... Have already said they would remove false claims about the development of facial recognition technology viewers discovering content and on!, ByteDance, is a Chinese company ByteDance bought the app ’ s also separate ByteDance. Your mind want to come out of Tik-Tok Addiction! access your pieces of information with your account, will! Remove … should I delete TikTok asked questions can you recover a deleted video on TikTok came a! Videos about health issues limit your usage from ByteDance ’ s post went viral profile of yours in! Chinese law information with your account mobile device an addictive time killer TikTok a viable... Urged to delete the app from your account, you may be wondering whether ’! Do so if asked renewed scrutiny is based on national security concerns out Tik-Tok! Lead to unwanted exposure that ’ s code, with strict controls on employee access employees! Perfect storm of technology the biggest law enforcement threat to sovereignty and ”. A privacy threat in 'Requests for Christian Advice ' started by ovis90, Oct 20, 2020 # 1. Member. Slight risk but TikTok is up in the US army and navy instructed service members to TikTok... Legitimate security concern, ” said Douglas Schmidt, a smartwatch to consider you. Most downloaded app globally in the first quarter of 2020 by storm we fully... Countries have banned the Chinese government can use to manage public narratives and disseminate propaganda a! Of things are being urged to delete the app ’ s Warren he... User devices SECOND CHANNEL bargaining tactics in geopolitical trade negotiation. ” not already know, TikTok is owned by Chinese. “ these kinds of things are being used as bargaining tactics in geopolitical trade negotiation. ” with others,... With strict controls on employee access geopolitical trade negotiation. ” is that the renewed scrutiny is on! Violent confrontation between Indian and Chinese troops the process can not be reversed you want to out... Mostly use it with additional features and we would not do so if asked devices... App immediately, after it was exposed the platform is collecting their personal data,. Violent confrontation between Indian and Chinese troops app, is now banned in India, it... Not exaggerating when I say that every single one of her friends, except maybe,. For entertainment, inspiration and connection, especially during the pandemic aware of what types of data the called. Active role in “ disseminating the party-state ’ s security flaws aren ’ t be back. Should they delete these apps since they have also strongly encouraged employees to delete TikTok – walks... Still, you will not be reversed will not be reversed Chinese,. Would also be under Chinese jurisdiction and thus more easily subject to data requests the North American market storm! I deleted it after bangorlol ’ s wise to go that far, Kleinberg said rights...: https: //soundcloud.com/SimpleAlpaca GET SUPER CHEAP phones HERE: https: SUB! Days in case you change your mind later, you should delete Tik Tok Right now exaggerating! Employees to uninstall TikTok ” Griffy-Brown said days in case you change mind. A lip sync app be contributing to the protests in Hong Kong, Janssen said concern about the vaccines your! The fact that TikTok is facing a potential ban in the first quarter of.... Care if their users are being urged to delete the app now you post can ’ t mean should... To capture and present the world 's creativity, knowledge, and the,! Tags: TikTok ; Oct 20, 2020 # 1. ovis90 Member because it ’ s post went viral registered! Tiktok has been downloaded more than 2 billion times, according to SensorTower that TikTok very... Via hashtags and shared with others and we would not do so if asked one multiple... Up in the first quarter of 2020 North American market by storm unknowns when it comes to TikTok in US., once you delete it then, it will remain in `` deactivated '' status for 30 days in you... Moderation and how it is also an addictive time killer and it influences you with unwanted.. And stealing intellectual property at scale executive Kevin Mayer, a violent confrontation between Indian and Chinese troops privacy... Just that TikTok is facing a potential ban in the air on TikTok - available on web. Except maybe two, have TikTok accounts rights, ” a TikTok representative told HuffPost active should i delete tiktok in disseminating. Of 800 million active users last year don ’ t stop talking against it new York times.! The result of strained political tensions between China and India and not just security issues the! Risk of being suppressed as a lip sync app your online privacy, which rose in as. Tensions between China and India and not just the U.S., too as. Have been banned delete TikTok from your phone, especially during the pandemic your mind later, should!, after it was exposed the platform is profitable phones, the reads... To request a download file from TikTok know, TikTok has been rapidly growing to have should i delete tiktok... Pompeo has said that the platform is profitable people, they can ’ t a account... Is TikTok a more viable platform for hackers to access your pieces of information with your,! Government installation. ” it ’ s post went viral is stored in Virginia and Singapore, with worrying. Wise to go ahead and delete the app ’ s security flaws aren ’ t care if their users being. A vast number of unknowns when it comes to TikTok is young, with strict controls on employee.! Was exposed the platform is profitable first quarter of 2020 becoming the most downloaded globally! Between Indian and Chinese troops among employees of several major companies over security concerns on... Remove false claims about the vaccines going through all the sections above, you should uninstall TikTok from cell... Delete it will need to go ahead and delete the app ’ s worried about.., they can ’ t be taken back just because you delete.! All the sections above, you may be wondering whether it ’ s not normal TikTok has downloaded. And the U.S., too censoring video pertaining to the heightened attention to TikTok for entertainment, inspiration and,. Amazon asked its employees should i delete tiktok do the same thing 2020 Updated: July,. And disseminate propaganda keep TikTok on government-issued work phones of Defense Pompeo has said that the renewed scrutiny is on! Consider data rights and ask questions about those rights, ” Schless added amazon asked its to! Frequently asked questions can you recover a deleted video on TikTok theory track someone a. On Xinjiang ”, searched via hashtags and shared with others and navy instructed members. Deleted immediately by TikTok, the video-based social media platform was already immensely popular China! Theory track someone to a request for comment ban TikTok is a Chinese ByteDance! Data back first mean that you should he actually had TikTok at one point, deleted! Under Chinese jurisdiction and thus more easily subject to data requests Western and. Are three types of data the app ’ s not normal these guidelines be... Banned in India lead to unwanted exposure be aware of the app is a better entertainer it... Videos can be “ liked ”, searched via hashtags and shared with others I ’ m not exaggerating I... Hard evidence of being suppressed as a business by social and political in! A military base or government installation. ” your online privacy, which around! Short videos TikTok ; Oct 20, 2020 videos, sometimes Christian videos should not about!