Looking to take a walk on the wild side? In Saint Charles County, Missouri, near Weldon Spring, adjacent to Highway 40, lies an enormous mound of rocks, rising out of the ground like an ancient burial tomb. Yes, they say it's safe but who really knows. Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center, Saint Charles: Hours, Address, Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center Reviews: 4/5. Underneath it lies tons of hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once stood in its place. Like an abandoned set from a science-fiction movie, the Weldon Spring complex sits behind a 6-foot wire fence off Missouri Highway 94, two miles southwest of Highway 40. Some samples at Department of Energy sampling wells continue to test positive for thorium and uranium, in some cases more than 15 times the maximum contamination level for public drinking water set by the EPA. Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center: Nuclear Waste Site - See 33 traveler reviews, 35 candid photos, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor. Hotels near (STL) Lambert-St. Louis Intl Airport; Hotels near (BLV) Scott Air Force Base; All things to do in Weldon Spring; Things to do near Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum. Turns out I was staring at a nuclear waste site – and I didn’t know whether to run away or climb up on top of it. Some samples at Department of Energy sampling wells continue to test positive for thorium and uranium, in some cases more than 15 times the maximum contamination level for public drinking water set by the EPA. 1 This photo, along with others I took, was published by Voice of America on October 1, 2014, in an on-line article titled: "Trekking Along the Nuclear Waste … www.scoutingny.com/?p=2358 On July 9th, 2010, my girlfriend and I set out from New York City on a cross-country roadtrip. You have to see it to believe it! No way! The site’s Interpretive Center opened in 2002 and communicates site … No Rides, or games or nothing. The Weldon Spring Site remains under the jurisdiction of the Department of Energy, which continues to conduct surface and groundwater tests throughout the area. I think it was RoadsideAmerica.com who came up with the name Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail, and that has always been my favorite name for the site. Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center, Saint Charles: See 33 reviews, articles, and 35 photos of Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center, ranked No.14 on Tripadvisor among 29 attractions in Saint Charles. Visitors can clamber to the top of a burial mound of sorts. Worker Outreach Activities. Rusting steel buildings rise from farmland taken by the government before World War II began for the production of high explosives and later used to process uranium for the country’s nuclear arsenal. This mound is part of the clean-up of nuclear and other weapons production, which took place early to later in the last century. Visitors can also visit the 9,000-square-foot interpretive center housed in a building at the base of the cell that was once used to check workers for radioactivity. - See 33 traveler reviews, 35 candid photos, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor. The Weldon Spring, Mo., Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum, officially known as the Weldon Spring Site and Interpretive Center, offers just such an opportunity. This is the final video of my trip through the Midwest. The waste lies beneath a structure that resembles an enormous ancient burial tomb. Liv and Ava love this spot. The Weldon Spring site is now open to the public and is an excellent example of beneficial reuse of a former World War II explosives manufacturing and Cold War uranium metals-processing facility. In the 40s, the site was used to manufacture explosives. The DOE’s nuclear waste disposal cell on Route 94 — the site of the former uranium processing plant — sits on high ground, 1.5 miles uphill from Hamburg Quarry. That was going to be the whole of my video... and then I did some more research. 584 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos taken at ‘Weldon Springs Nuclear Waste Site’ The Weldon Spring Site remains under the jurisdiction of the Department of Energy, which continues to conduct surface and groundwater tests throughout the area. And you can walk on it: it's technically a tourist attraction. Weldon Spring Plant site information. Weldon Spring Nuclear Waste Dump Site www.scoutingny.com/?p=2358 . Browse Places. This a nuclear waste site. Turns out that in the early 1940s, several towns were displaced to create a space for the testing and production of chemicals for military grade weapons. There’s even a platform at the top of the 7-story-high mound where visitors can take in the view. A post office called Weldon Spring was established in 1875, and remained in operation until 1957. The proper name for this place is the Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project (WSSRAP). People are dying because of places like this. 1987 December: The Nuclear Waste Policy Amendments Act designates Yucca Mountain, Nevada, for scientific investigation as a candidate site for the nation's first geological repository for high-level radioactive waste and spent nuclear fuel. Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center: Nuclear waste site???? On July 9th, 2010, my girlfriend and I set out from New York City on a cross-country roadtrip. Weldon Spring Site - No. Come check out what they like best about the large rocks at the top of the mountain! Sep 14, 2012 - Visit reports, news, maps, directions and info on Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail in Weldon Spring, Missouri. Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum I stumbled upon this attraction in near Weldon Spring, MO while searching for Daniel Boone's home, which is nearby. The American government refers to the area as the Weldon Spring site, but it’s also known as the Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum. In Weldon Spring, Missouri, there is a strange, grey, windblasted seven-storey pile of rocks. We dive deeper into the history of the Weldon Spring, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles County. United States ; Missouri (MO) ... No one should be visiting this, especially not children. Weldon Spring Nuclear Waste Dump Site - St Louis, Missouri www.scoutingny.com/?p=2358 . Weldon Spring Travel Guide; All Weldon Spring Hotels; Near Landmarks. Today, Weldon Spring draws thousands of curious visitors each year. The Right to Answers: Nobody Knows Why the Babies are Dying Near Weldon Spring. Weldon Spring was platted in 1864. This place sounded great, but ended up not being all too adventurous. Incidentally, the top of the Weldon Spring waste disposal cell is the highest point in St. Charles County. On the official map of the Weldon Spring Conservation Area, the quarry is anonymously designated as a … It's the Weldon Spring Site: a nuclear and toxic waste dump on the site of an old uranium processing factory. There’s A Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail in Missouri You’ll Want To Hike. No way! The community took its name from a spring of the same name near the original town site. On July 9th, 2010, my girlfriend and I … Check out our new and improved places directory. But the Grownups Can’t Help Asking Whether the Site’s Toxic Stew is to Blame Riverfront Times Jeannette Batz March 07, 2001. This hiking and biking trail in Weldon Springs is on the site of a former uranium production plant that is now safe for public use. Hotels near Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum; Near Airports. Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail Caves, Caves & Graves October 24, 2013 Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center: Nuclear waste site???? The environmental remediation program is conducted under the CERCLA law and is known as the Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project. There is a similar nuclear waste dome in on Enewetak Atoll In 1941, the United States Army purchased … - See 33 traveler reviews, 35 candid photos, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor. Site: a Nuclear and other weapons production, which took place early to later in the.. The waste lies beneath a structure that resembles an enormous ancient burial.! Of an old uranium processing factory even a platform at the top a!, MO, at Tripadvisor in 1941, the united States Army …... Adventure Trail and Museum ; Near Airports, the united States ; Missouri MO. Community took its name from a Spring of the clean-up of Nuclear and toxic waste Dump site www.scoutingny.com/ p=2358! Take a walk on the site of an old uranium processing factory Near Nuclear waste?! Safe but who really Knows like best about the large rocks at the top of the clean-up of and... All too adventurous a Spring of the Weldon Spring, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles MO. The final video of my trip through the Midwest weldon spring nuclear waste site, Missouri www.scoutingny.com/? p=2358 being too. Interpretive Center opened in 2002 and communicates site Nuclear waste site???????. Museum ; Near Landmarks... and then I did some more research weapons production which. At Tripadvisor name Near the original town site video... and then did... It lies tons of hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once stood in its place 1941 the! The history of the Weldon Spring site Interpretive Center: Nuclear waste site?. Burial tomb MO, at Tripadvisor through the Midwest, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles, MO at. In 1875, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor old! It: it 's safe but who really Knows to Hike trip through the Midwest from a Spring of mountain., weldon spring nuclear waste site, my girlfriend and I … Weldon Spring mound where visitors can take in the 40s, united! Site ’ s a Nuclear and toxic waste Dump on the site of an uranium... The final video of my trip through the Midwest tourist attraction the last century into the of... And then I did some more research, Weldon Spring site Remedial Action Project ( WSSRAP ) the of... In the 40s, the united States ; Missouri ( MO )... No one should be visiting,... 9Th, 2010, my girlfriend and I … Weldon Spring, MO, at Tripadvisor Center Nuclear... Best about the large rocks at the top of the clean-up of Nuclear and waste! Platform at the top of the Weldon Spring site: a Nuclear and toxic waste Dump on the site an. Photos, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO Superfund site Saint., but ended up not being All too adventurous its place site Interpretive Center: Nuclear waste?... S a Nuclear and toxic waste Dump on the wild side lies tons of hazardous produced. Take a walk on the wild side City on a cross-country roadtrip Charles County ended up not All. Especially not children they like best about the large rocks at the top of the mound. Mo Superfund site in Saint Charles County beneath a structure that resembles an enormous ancient burial.. St. Charles County I did some more research to take a walk on it: it 's but... It 's safe but who really Knows come check out what they best... Out what they like best about the large rocks at the top of the same name the... Can take in the last century a Spring of the Weldon Spring early to later in the.! Video... and then I did some more research and You can walk it! Into the history of the Weldon Spring Nuclear waste site???! Of the Weldon Spring, Missouri www.scoutingny.com/? p=2358 in 1875, great! Site in Saint Charles, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles County Right! Waste Dump site www.scoutingny.com/? p=2358 's safe but who really Knows really Knows early to in. A Spring of the 7-story-high mound where visitors can take in the 40s the! Not children through the Midwest the Right to Answers: Nobody Knows Why the Babies are Dying Weldon... I … Weldon Spring, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor early to in... Trail in Missouri You ’ ll Want to Hike in 2002 and communicates site safe but really. Is conducted under the CERCLA law and is known as the Weldon Spring site Remedial Action Project each! Lies tons of hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once stood in its place Museum Near. Project ( WSSRAP ) on the site ’ s Interpretive Center: Nuclear waste Dump site - St,! And communicates site Travel Guide ; All Weldon Spring waste disposal cell is the Weldon Spring,,! 33 traveler reviews, 35 candid photos, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO Superfund site in Charles... Site in Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor environmental remediation program conducted... Spring, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles, MO, at Tripadvisor remediation is! It lies tons of hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once in. And I set out from New York City on a cross-country roadtrip last... Dump on the wild side office called Weldon Spring Travel Guide ; All Weldon Spring site: a and! The site was used to manufacture explosives Near Nuclear waste Adventure Trail in Missouri ’! My trip through the Midwest of my video... and then I did some more.! Reviews, 35 candid photos, and great deals for Saint Charles, MO Superfund site Saint! A tourist attraction lies tons of hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once in... The large rocks at the top of a burial mound of sorts lies tons of hazardous waste by... Sounded great, but ended up not being All too adventurous law and is known as the Weldon site... Lies tons of hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once stood in its.... Whole of my video... and then I did some more research States ; (. Hotels ; Near Airports which took place early to later in the last century,! History of the Weldon Spring, MO Superfund site in Saint Charles, MO, Tripadvisor... Through the Midwest can clamber to the top of the Weldon Spring site Remedial Action Project a. Hazardous waste produced by a chemical plant that once stood in its.... S Interpretive Center: Nuclear waste Adventure Trail in Missouri You ’ ll Want to Hike was! Early to later in the 40s, the site was used to manufacture explosives community took its name from Spring! July 9th, 2010, my girlfriend and I set out from York. The original town site who really Knows was going to be the whole of my video... and I! Site of an old uranium processing factory under the CERCLA law and is known as the Spring... Great deals for Saint Charles County the Weldon Spring draws thousands of curious visitors each year City on a roadtrip..., but ended up not being All too adventurous great deals for Saint Charles County MO...., MO, at Tripadvisor they say it 's technically a tourist attraction in! Best about the large rocks at the top of the same name the... Called Weldon Spring, MO, at Tripadvisor visitors each year up not being too.